Saturday, April 14, 2012

Great global books for kids!


Teaching world studies has opened up my eyes to a whole new genre of books for kids that I'm so happy to share with my children and students. Here are some of my favorites:

  • Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World by Selby B. Beeler
  • Shades of People by Shelley Rotner and Sheila M. Kelly
  • Wish: Wishing Traditions Around the World by Roseanne Thong
  • Wake Up World: A Day in the Life of Children Around the World by Beatrice Hollyer
  • Let's Eat: What Children Eat Around the World by Beatrice Hollyer
  • Around the World Art & Activities by Judy Press


"What do you do when you lose a tooth? Do you put it under your pillow and wait for the tooth fairy? Not if you live in Botswana! In Botswana, children throw their teeth onto the roof. In Afghanistan they drop their teeth down mouse holes, and in Egypt they fling their teeth at the sun! Travel around the world and discover the surprising things children do when they lose a tooth. Selby B. Beeler spent years collecting traditions from every corner of the globe for this whimsical book, and G. Brian Karas adds to the fun, filling every page with humorous detail. He perfectly captures the excitement and pride that children experience when a tooth falls out." From the publisher.

5 comments:

  1. I had to add Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World to my Goodreads want-to-read shelf. I think my kids would totally love reading about the different traditions from around the world. Thanks for sharing this great list on the Kid Lit Blog Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you from the Kid Lit Hop! I find this very interesting. Traditions in other country when a child loses a tooth is something I had never thought about. Thanks for sharing! I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to buy this book at AbeBooks. Thanks for the heads up on a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is definitely going on my to-read list...Did you know that when gargoyles lose a tooth (incidentally a very rare happening, but not by any means unheard of), they get some superglue and stick it back in? Not as fun as throwing it at the sun, but saves on dentist bills. :)
    Another great global story is "If the World Were a Village"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's called worldview for a reason! Thanks for opening up our eyes to some great books and lessons.

    ReplyDelete