Saturday, April 28, 2012

Have you filled a bucket today?



Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud is a wonderful book that teaches children about how our kind and not so kind actions affect those around us. The notion of being a bucket filler or a bucket dipper is such a great way to encourage acts of love and kindness among children. The website www.bucketfillers101.com has lots of information and resources for implementing this as a program in classes for ages 4-9 years.

For our home, we are generating a list of 100 ways to be a bucket filler.  Here's our first ten:

  1. smile
  2. make someone a picture
  3. say please
  4. say thank you
  5. clean up after yourself
  6. give a high five
  7. offer a drink when you get one for yourself
  8. offer a snack when you get one for yourself
  9. share a blanket
  10. hug
  11. help mom make a meal for a family
  12. make someone a piece of jewelry
  13. read someone a story
  14. make someone a card
  15. ask someone if they would like to play
  16. share your toys
  17. offer a lick of your ice cream 



4 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome book!
    I love your list of bucket fillers. What a great way to remind your kids of the importance of kind gestures!
    Thanks for linking up to the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of "filling a bucket" and I like that you have come up with a list for your family. It's so true that it's all those little things that make such a big difference. Great reminder! Thanks for linking into the Kid Lit Blog Hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that book to my children, and they spent three days complaining that other people weren't spending enough time filling their buckets. I said they could fill their own buckets by filling other peoples, and they said, they'd give me the chance to fill my bucket by doing such-and-such for them. Reading the book to them really didn't lead us to what I hoped it would.

    Then I started using the terminology of computer games... that doing such and such deplete's people's points and doing other things helps them both collect points, and suddenly they understood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book and concept! I reviewed a book that must be from the same author (https://snacksformax.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/buckets-of-good-will/). We love it a) because it has a dog in it and b) because it's such a great lesson. I like the idea of creating a list like you have. When Max is older, I'll follow your lead!

    ReplyDelete