Sunday, June 24, 2012

DIY Fairy Garden

I have been itching to make a fairy garden after seeing so many creative posts on several blogs and pinterest pins. 

I started with a wicker tray from Goodwill ($4). I lined half of it with a sheet of moss ($2) and half with white aquarium gravel ($3). I bought a tube of fairies ($11) and a bird house from Michael's ($1). I also bought a bag of loose floral gems for ($3) and some faux flowers for ($3). I added in some shells, rocks and two tree blocks we already owned. 

The only items that are anchored are the flowers, which are currently stuck in play dough we'll see how long that lasts -- may need to get some model clay or floral foam.  The rest of the items are loose for playing and rearranging. Total cost $27.00

Miss Independent (age 3) helped me assemble the basket. When it was almost finished I asked her to get me something in the other room and when she returned the fairies had appeared - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! She was so stinkin' surprised :)




26 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! I bet your daughter had so much fun! It is just beautiful.

    Thank you for linking up with Happy Homemaker Me!!!

    ♥ Bethany
    www.happyhomemaker.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so totally cute!!! I'm your newest follower from "Too Cute Tuesday Blog Hop". I would love a follow back if you get a chance: godsgrowinggarden.blogspot.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute - we did a similar but different thing at our house making a fairy-terrarium - my little ones still get a smile on their face when the fairy moves places:
    http://partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/airy-fairy-terrarium-project.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, off to check out your link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute and creative. I would love for you to share it on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks,
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Marcie, I've linked up at your awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome!! Where does one buy a sheet of moss? Thanks for the great idea!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found mine in the craft aisle of Walmart. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. So, so lovely...can't wait till my girls are a little older to do these sort of activities!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I love the use of both the moss and the small rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your fairy garden.
    we've made a couple too but never thought of using a basket - it adds a natural background that I like

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Maureen, my first choice was an old soup pot and but I couldn't find one at Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love this fairy garden, it's so cute. Can I add it to my fairy roundup post?

    Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please that would be wonderful, thank you!

      Delete
  13. Great idea, Kara! I pinned your post to my Any-Season Sensory Tubs/Sensory Experiences Pinterest Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/any-season-sensory-tubs-sensory-experiences/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll bet "Miss Independent" has enjoyed many hours of imaginative play with this fairy garden. I love the little bird house and never quite understood what they were used for. Thanks for breaking down the prices of everything I'll need to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so creative and beautiful, indeed!
    saw the picture on the 'popular' category of pinterest and came here :)

    ReplyDelete