Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Daily Invitation to Draw

I have a wonderfully stocked arts and crafts closet that I've been working on for months now. What I have noticed is that it's not all that easy for the kids to access what they would like, especially for drawing. So I set up our dining room table as a permanent spot for drawing. I went to IKEA and purchased a wood lazy susan for $7.99 and five steel buckets for $1 each.  I also purchased some colorful easy to clean place mats for $2.99 for four. The buckets have markers, scissors, glue, tape, crayons, and colored pencils. I also left out a stack of plain white paper. I hope this encourages more art making. 




10 comments:

  1. lazy susans are a brilliant way of making things more accessible to little hands. I love it. I'd be interested to know whether the amount of drawing increases and then tails off. My son has access to pens and crayons all the time and he used to use them a lot an dnow hardly touches them. I wonder whether I need to put them away for a bit so when i bring them out again they are 'new'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally a agree, they will stop "seeing them" soon enough and then I'll have to change it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared this on the Kids Co-op FB page but I couldn't find your blog FB page to tag - do you have one?

      Delete
    2. I don't do FB, just pinterest, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kara. Stopping by from the Kids Co-op on Triple T Mum. We are in the process of creating a creative space in our home and I loved the look of your idea! I am featuring this on Triple T Mum's Showcase and pinning to the Kids Co-op Board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've set it up for them. It looks very inviting. I'm trying to do the same so they haveedifferent art materials every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a brilliant idea and I just happen to have the same steel buckets and a spare lazy Susan! My daughter is yet to discover her creative side so maybe something like this would really help her.

    ReplyDelete