Sunday, November 11, 2012

Beginning Scissor Work

Mr. Rolo and Miss Independent need lots of cutting practice. Here are two options instead of purchasing a pricey cutting workbook. 

The first is to create your own by tracing objects from around the house. I chose beginning shapes. I traced them with a black sharpie. Then went over it with a highlighter. Finally added stickers. I think the addition of the highlighter helps widen the area to cut, adds visual interest and the stickers provide an additional level of sensory input. It also helps when talking a child through the work i.e. cut the orange line between the pink and purple heart stickers.

The second option shown in the photo on the bottom row is to print off free cutting worksheets and then jazz them up with your highlighter and stickers. I got these from www.kidslearningstation.com

Happy cutting!


8 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I love the bright colors and stickers make everything more fun, don't they?! :) Sharing on my FB page and pinning to my boards. Thanks!

    Malia {Playdough to Plato}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made these as printables before, but I like your colorful idea! I am your newest follower and would like to invite you to add this, and more of your great posts, to my weekly Mom's library Link-Up.
    http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/2012/11/co-hosting-moms-library-5-for-me.html

    Thanks and be blessed,
    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julie I'm off to check out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful ideas, Kara ... they really do make the cutting activities more appealing! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks as always Deb, hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved it so much, I am featuring it this week on Mom's Library. Come on over and grab a featured badge from Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk! Can't wait to see what you will link-up this week!

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Julie

    http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/2012/11/co-hosting-moms-library-link-up-6-for-me.html

    ReplyDelete