Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Summer Reading

The research on summer slide is down right frightening! Conservative estimates are that children loose two months of progress over the summer months. 

So we are trying our best to prevent the slide as much as possible this summer. We have school for an hour every weekday morning. No screen time or outings until our work is done. We practice reading, writing, math and typing (for my nine year old). 

To encourage the reading we joined a summer reading program at our local bookstore. I also set up a pop up tent on our deck with pillows, blankets and a basket of books.


Right now my Kindergartener is loving the new Pete The Cat I Can Read books -- check them out!





6 comments:

  1. Pete the Cat is so cute! Try your local library too, mine has a summer reading club :D
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the reading tent, Kara! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Summer Fun Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/summer-fun/

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the reading tent! We enjoy taking books into our "clubhouse" (play set). I'll be featuring this on The Sunday Showcase this weekend.

    ReplyDelete