Sunday, May 19, 2013

Why my kids wear what they want, even to church on Sunday's

I admit I have had some battles with my kids about their choice of clothes from time to time. My worst was when I bribed my 3 year old to wear a dress for her birthday party "honey you can have a sucker when you put on your party dress!" Cringe! We live in the south and church on Sunday is a dress up event. My kids often don't want to dress up and I can assure you it takes sum guts to let your daughter parade into church with rain boots, tutu and a shirt that is so small her belly is starting to peek out. But reading this quote from Jada Pinkett Smith stopped me cold:

The question why I would LET Willow cut her hair. First the LET must be challenged. This is a world where women,girls are constantly reminded that they don't belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are HER domain. Willow cut her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair. It's also a statement that claims that even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother's deepest insecurities, hopes and desires. Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be. 

I hope people realize we mean no disrespect at church, I think God cares about inner beauty not "outer beauty" anyway and I hope my kids grow up knowing their body is their own -- especially my daughter!


No comments:

Post a Comment