Monday, September 30, 2013

Global Kids - Japan

Kon'nichiwa!

Don't you just love learning about other countries? I love introducing kids to other cultures. I do it at my preschool in my class Global Kids and at home with my own children. Just recently we took a "trip" to Japan.

Here's a little sampling of what we did in case you'd like to "visit" Japan from your armchair too!


Books:

I Live in Tokyo by Mari Takabayashi






Crafts:





Food: Of course this is any easy one -- visit a local Japanese grocer or restaurant. We tried nori sheets for a snack, which is seaweed with sesame oil -- yummy!

Music: Our local library had a great selection of contemporary and traditional Japanese music. We listened to it during meals and in the car.

It wouldn't be a Kara's Classroom post with out a little fine motor practice. I bought some cute sushi erasers and we used chopsticks (the kind for kids) to practice picking up and transferring. Say┼Źnara!





9 comments:

  1. The sushi erasers are so cute! I would love if you would link up with Creative Kids Cultural Blog Hop - http://toddlefast.blogspot.com/2013/09/creative-kids-cultural-blog-hop-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I just linked up, great blog hop, how often does it run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kara! Thank you so much for linking up at the Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop! Very much appreciative that Yogamama invited you since this is such a great post! The CKC Blog Hop runs monthly on the the 3rd Sunday. We'll be looking forward to future link-ups!

      Delete
  3. You are more than welcome to link to me at Best4Future Wednesday link-up party #2:http://www.best4future.com/blog/best4future-wednesday-link-up-party-2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kara, It is really great idea to introduce other cultures to kids, I wish I could show these videos before you start the class of Japan.
    I've made a video of Kokeshi and Furoshiki so if you have a time please try to watch them.
    Kokeshi dolls video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPapG4EnPg

    Furoshiki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcjp9CLSaTw

    Hope you like them.

    ReplyDelete