Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Halloween Play!

I think next to Christmas, Halloween is my favorite holiday. So I really enjoy setting up lots of fun Halloween play for preschoolers and elementary age kids. Here's what I came up with this year:

Trick or Treat Street
Kids just love pretending to trick or treat so why not set up a little small world play to get their imaginations running. I made a mini street from dollar store boxes. I added in LED lights, candy corn erasers, a little bucket and people figures. I set everything up on a book shelf for easy access. My mind is already reeling with more additions to this scence...









Halloween Sensory Box

I took a 99 cent clear plastic shoe box and filled it with dry black beans. I added a silicone pumpkin ice cube mould from the dollar store, halloween themed erasers, pompoms, tongs, shredded paper and my halloween story stones. This is so quick and cheap to put together and it cleans up in a snap - just pop on the cover and store for later.



Halloween Sensory Bag

I made this bag last year and it was such a hit. The kids could not stop touching it. It is also great for language development and fine motor skills. For example, can you push the ghost to the right? Can you push the cat under the pumpkin? How many candy corns do you see? Can you push all the cats to the top of the bag?

I bought a box of the cheap dollar store brand freezer bags because they are logo free (gallon size). I filled the bag with three bottles of clear hair gel from the dollar store. You should add duck tape to seal the bag so kids are not opening it up -- that would be a frightening mess!



I Spy Halloween Bottle

I filled a small gatorade bottle with dry black beans and lots of different halloween erasers. I glued the cap on for extra security. Mr. Rolo likes looking at this bottle before falling asleep.



Seasonal Book Basket

I have a basket that I keep by our sofa filled with seasonal books. I flip the books each month, just like my library at preschool. Here is my reading list for ages 3-9 for October:


  • The Monster Who Ate My Peas by Danny Schnitzlien
  • The Tailypo by Joanna Galdone
  • Go to Sleep Groundhog! by Judy Cox
  • I know an old lady who swallowed a pie by Alison Jackson
  • Old Spooky Tree by Stan and Jan Bernstein
  • Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
  • Ghosts in the House Kazuno Kohara
  • The Night Before Halloween by Natasha Wing
  • Franklin’s Halloween by Paulette Bourgeois
  • The little old lady who was not afraid of anything by Linda Williams
  • Room on the broom by Julia Donaldson
  • Skeleton Hiccups by Margery Cuyler
  • Corduroy’s Best Halloween Ever by Don Freeman
  • Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman
  • Five Little Pumpkins by Iris Van Rynbach
  • Who’s There Little Hoo? By Brenda Ponnay
  • Moonlight the Halloween Cat by Cynthia Rylant









10 comments:

  1. What a lovely set up for Halloween with some great sensory activities! I would love for you to stop by my sensory play party linky and your post or pin!
    http://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/creepy-crawly-halloween-water-beads-sensory-bin-sensory-play-party-8/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun seasonal post! Thanks so much for sharing with After School.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your preschoolers are very lucky to have a creative teacher like you. Thanks for sharing with Afterschool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing in the After School Linky Party! You've been featured this week in a Roundup of Halloween Activities! Here's the link http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2013/10/halloween-activities-for-kids-after.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute ideas! I especially loved the Halloween sensory bin! I featured this post on http://sowsproutplay.com/activities/ten-halloween-activities-for-tots/.

    ReplyDelete