Monday, November 4, 2013

Global Kids - Kenya

Hujambo! Oh Kenya is such a rich country with so much to share with my preschool students. We learned all about safari animals and Wangari Maathai's greenbelt movement.

We loved listening to African music, this CD African Playground was a huge hit.


I used an app, Safari Animals, for the kids to see real photographs of animals native to Kenya and to hear their calls. We also read We All Went on Safari by Laurie Krebs. I also hid plastic models of the different animals and the children went on their own mini safari looking for all the animals I had hidden.



I read the story of Wangari Maathai in her memoir Unbowed just after she recieved the Nobel Peace Prize in 2004. I new immediately that I wanted to share her story with children. Luckily for me I can finally do just that with all my amazing preschool students.

There are quite a few childrens books about Maathai so I ended up choosing Wangari's Trees of Peace by Jeanette Winter. I felt it was most age appropriate for four to five year olds. Then we did a tree craft. Here are some of the children's art work.




No comments:

Post a Comment