Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Imaginative Play

As I start to write this blog entry, I'm not even really sure what I want to say. For about a week now this play table has been set up exactly like this and my daughter age 4.5 has been spending many hours happily playing her version of office. The watercolors are her key board and the chalk eraser is the screen. The single magna tile square is her phone. She has been typing up information for weeks about all sorts of things going on in her life. Christmas toy orders, dog orders, giving advice to friends etc.

Skip back to last weekend and a discussion I had with some other Moms about dreading to purchase toys for Christmas. We questioned do our kids really need more toys? We even asked some of our kids what they wanted and they couldn't come up with anything... The trend is obviously catching on. The last few birthdays we have been invited to all hostesses requested "no gifts."

I guess all week this little table my daughter has set up has shown me she is totally capable of setting up her own imaginative play and she certainly doesn't need me to go out an purchase a toy office set.

So we are going to try and focus more on experiences this year and less on buying toys for the sake of having something to put under the tree. Gifts under the tree will be more about books, art supplies, sports equipment and one special toy wish. 




No comments:

Post a Comment